History of the University of Florence
The University of Florence is one of the oldest and most prestigious Italian universities: today it counts about 60,000 students.
The University of Florence evolved from the Stadium Generale established in 1321. In 1349 the Pope Clemente VI authorised to grant regular degrees and the first faculty of Theology was in Florence. In 1364 the Studium became an imperial university and in 1473 was moved to Pisa when Lorenzo il Magnifico took the control of Florence.
Today the University is divided in 12 faculties and are located in are located in strategic areas of the city.